From my kitchen to yours

From my kitchen to yours

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

DAY 62 - ALL ABOUT EVE...HEALTHY QUINOA SALAD AND BAKED MUSTARD CHICKEN..














And where do I really begin...
well I met Eve for the very first time on the 24th Sept 2011...
I did not have any assumptions or preconceived notions of , how she would be..
But when I rang her door bell, she opened the door , with a bright , "helllloooo" , something that I got sooo used to and also miss today...
I was greeted by this lovely bobbed silver haired woman, in trousers and a light blouse...who looked at me and said , "is that all the luggage you have?"
Well did not want to frighten her with what all I'm capable off so said"yup" and she and me proceeded to pull my bags in, for some reason , we both think of our selves as 'super-girl'..
So after I beg her not to carry my bags and she does not agree, we trudge up to the room , where I will spend my next 11 weeks in...
I loved my room on sight, it was small, had a cup-board , a bed and a study table with a window to the world...and a terrace...yeah yeah yeah...
I was a happy bunny...
We chatted a bit ...and like a good Brit-lady, she scurried away and left me to unpack...

The next day she took me on a tour around Woking, so I could find my way to class and to the Market or the mall...
Remember she took me to Carlton Road and stopped there...
And she said, so this is the famous Carlton Rd, and I looked at her and said "for what" and she looked at me incredulously and said, "this is where your cooking school Tante Marie is, so better don't forget this..."
Ha ha ha ....
Then we continued chatting 19 to a dozen and then she bought me Hot Chocolate, showed me the most IMP place in Woking the MALL ha ha ha...
Then Sainsbury,Boots , the railway station and various other necessary places like clothes stores...

Eve is a girls , girl and I realised , I have found an amazing person to live with, was just worried she may get fed up with my constant chatter ...
And then also told her to please not leave the house and go , as I'm petrified to sleep alone...
She looked at me like I'm nuts...

And I realised that she is Aries like my mad friend Sandy back home...
So being a true blue Sagittarius who believes in sun signs and all that Jazz..
I did some stupid calculation , told her we are both fire signs and she was up for the chatter and we had a lovely time...

This first week I came home with French vocabulary, that was really French to me ha ha ha...
And so Eve used to teach me correct pronunciation, but then after some time, I would go all about the place and she used to say learn it like you will remember it...
Then I started getting all the baked goodies home to Eve...
And she would taste a wee bit , because she always mostly ate right..
So I used to tell her, "we need to distribute the calories , so none of us get fat"....

I went to my First ever Ballet with her and her sweet partner Ralph, who is Virgo, so yes, occasionally we have talked about the various Virgo's in our lives and how different they are from Fire signs, I should know , my dad is one... And how this and that..and the other...
But Ralph was a doll..

And when I came home to Eve's with Goodies, I knew Ralph would always taste the calorie filled stuff and enjoy it...
So it made bringing home all the goodies worth while...

Well I went for my first ballet about Cleopatra, with Eve and Ralph...that was beautiful...

Well Eve would always ask me if I needed to be dropped to the train station on Saturday...
She did not have to but she always did...
Very time I had a problem , I would come and spill the beans to Eve...
And I would tell her, this is what I'm gonna say and this is what I'm gonna do..
And she would raise her eye-brows and say , "Young Lady,I don't think so, if I were you"....

And well she also said that her mum used to tell her that she would get quieter as she got older, which I never saw...
She was one of the most fun girls I hung with...
We would go window shopping at the drop of a hat...
She was spontaneous, always looked spiffy and drove like a fiend ha ha ha ...
And every time I shopped, "she would talk about the great depression that I kind of knew nothing about, and she would say, well thank you for helping my economy" ha ha ha

She would make me keep my credit cards home...
Take the taxi service card , before I left home , and always tell me to be safe....
Then she would say , I'm sorry I'm not your mother, but just needed to tell you this"adorable and absolutely loving, I just fell in love with this Eve and used to look forward to spending time with her , whenever...
And like my mum she would see that my uniform was impeccably kept ...
And we used to shop for fruits, groceries and general gifts to take home...
Eve was all heart always, I never ever saw her with a frown or in a bad mood ever..
She loved her garden like my mum, looked after her plants, fed a fox , I heard somewhere in conversation one day...and was the best land-lady a girl could ask for..
She always encouraged me to travel and when I was to go to Paris , she gave me books and maps...
I used to share most things with Eve, she was a modern woman but also so beautifully old fashioned..

So today am gonna share with you a recipe, that I made Eve a lot while I was practicing for my 1st practical exams...
And since she was very particular about what she eats ...
Have a lovely fresh Quinoa salad and a Mustard Baked chicken...

INGREDIENTS..
Quinoa - 1 cup
Hand-full -broccoli red and yellow, bean sprouts, mushrooms and assorted beans..
1 1/2 cup Chicken stock
1/2 lime squeezed
Oregano
salt to taste

Baked mustard Chicken
6 legs of chicken with or without the skin..
3 tbs olive oil
2 tbsp grainy mustard
Honey
2 tsp mixed Morrocan spice..
Salt to taste.

Method..

QUINOA WITH VEGETABLES...
Boil the quinoa in the chicken broth till nicely cooked..About 10 minutes...please do taste it..and when done, fluff it up a bit with a fork...
Par-boil the broccoli
Just stir fry the rest of the vegetables , sprouts and beans with a little olive oil, or a little more depending on how healthy you like your food to be..add oregano to the vegetables..
I love to roast pine- nuts and add them to quinoa..
Mix the quinoa and the vegetables , and add the lime and mix it throughly..
Sprinkle with pine nuts..

BAKED MUSTARD CHICKEN

In a glass bowl, mix the morrocan spice, grainy mustard, olive oil and honey to the chicken legs and let them marinate as long as you possibly can.
But at least leave it for an hour...so that the chicken is well flavoured.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for at least 35-40 minutes..

WELL Eve she ate my exam chicken 3 times before I finally made it for my exams....
She was always encouraging and so loving that frankly I felt at home with Eve...

So while my chicken was baking in the oven and I was multi-tasking all my par-boiling and stir frying activity...was thinking about Eve..

In the evenings, I would sometimes hear Ralph talking to Eve and she laughing hilariously .
It just felt so nice to hear them...share this beautiful companionship...
At the end of the day , is that not what love is all about...

Eve's home was always filled with laughter...
I always showed her all my shopping...
And when we went out shopping together, she would ask me, should I stop you, or should I not interfere, so we always made a pact that she should stop me and I always ended up with something new....

Went with Eve for a fashion show one day, and fell asleep...
And when I stirred awake , she said," go back to sleep, you are not missing much"...
Ha ha ha hilarious...
She helped me choose a beautiful gown, the one I have posted here on the blog, which when I wore I thought of "YOU" first Eve...
You would have liked how I looked ..ha ha ha


It was really cute, but every time I came home after class, would hear Eve say, "There she comes , that girl,and wonder what she has to say today ."
She would talk of me in third person, like I was not there...
There is another very dear friend of mine who also does that..who I really miss a lot...

And as I would walk into her hall, like I did when I was in school with my parents ...
And show her my food for the day, and then tell her about it, and then pour my heart out if anything was bothering me...
And she always gave me time..and that's what made me feel like home..

When I had over shopped and was packing my bags , before coming home, she came with me to buy my bags , not once or twice...but thrice...

She always gave me a napkin while I ate...and said, sit-down and eat properly...
I loved every moment of fussing that she did over me...
I love that feeling of having someone, who was so my own, so far away from home...
I will never forget, when I came home from my exams, she was just full of love and I could see , that both Eve and Ralph really do care for me as much as I had come to love them...
They were my family away from home and I can say without a doubt that my land- lady Eve is a loving Star....
And I was really lucky to get her...
Thank you Lorraine for making that call...

Now I can smell the lovely chicken baking in the oven..
Its come out looking crispy on the outside but is really soft and juicy...
Kept the quinoa salad nice and warm...

All food should always be eaten fresh and piping hot..
that's when it tastes OH SOOOO YUMMM...


And so todays meal, I dedicate to Eve who was my friend , therapist, psychiatrist, travel- encourager, French teacher, shopping-buddy, wine-buddy, food-taster, smile bringer and the most amazing land-lady a girl could have ..

So here's presenting, "Eve's quinoa vegetable salad with mustard Chicken"...
Fresh full of super nutrition, succulent and yummy, and made with lotsa love and some beautiful memories of Eve, Ralph, her kitchen, the room I lived in, my 'love-spell' green tea, my path to class everyday and all the music that will always play in my heart...
Only from "Maria's Kitchen"....

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing Maria. I read your blogs after lunch. There is no more sugar craving. My box of chocolates, your blogs. I am currently plowing thru your tante marie phase from last year. Good that you love UGG and picked that one. We love our UGG here in toronto.Can't think about Fall and Winter without them. With all the sweaters you have all you need to do is come to the north pole (Kannaada).Good Night. I am going to enjoy a spin and a zumba class tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are such a blessed soul, M! :)
    had absolutely loved All the posts on Tante Marie last year. and this one comes like the cheery on the icing on the cake. feels so good to read about Eve! such an angel! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are such a blessed soul, M! :)
    had absolutely loved ALL the posts on Tante Marie last year. and this one comes like the cherry on the icing on the cake. felt so good to read about Eve! such an angel she is! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahhaha love this post!! i can see how u mustve driven her as crazy as you drive us! keep writi M! love J

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will have to bear with me. Cause you will get comments on your blogs written a while ago. But what to do...., when I read them... dil gaad gaad ho jaata hain, heartva beating faster and mind becoming all colourfoollllllll. Bless you Maria from the bottom of my heart. This year there are no february blues. There are the lovely colours that you show me in your thoughts wonderfully penned down. Ciao.
    P.S. Imagine this. I am going through older posts and they all look so good, i read a fewlines and decide this one is too good for today, will save it for some other day and then i see another post which is equally intresting. so what do I do, I read them both and enjoy my dessert post lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautifully written and from the heart ...reading ur blog gives me the feeling that the wrld has nt changed so much since my childhood...when dreams were the only constant in life...whn evry weather seemd beautiful and when u didnt calculate all the choices u made in life..u just let urself be...i can turn on to ur blog when i need that beauty in my life again ...just fr reassurance -Surabhi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always admired you on telly and came across your blog few months ago. You are so full of life and positivity. Thanks for indirectly being there through your posts. I have been a silent reader till now. Showed my my chef husband some of your posts on the culinary training. Even he trained in UK and worked there for 10 years before coming here to Seattle. Food brings everyone together.

    I have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete