From my kitchen to yours

From my kitchen to yours

Friday, June 3, 2011

DAY 52: SAGI-MAGICAL MOMENTS....



And so after years of being technologically challenged and refusing to change my Nokia for any thing in the world ...

I get myself an IPhone 4...

And I suddenly grew up ...

It's a diff world out there and a whole new ball game ....

Interesting features ,games, down loads and matrix kinda apps...

At first I definitely did not want to do anything with this iPhone creature ...

That looked so swish and did all the right things...

I like my old Nokia that had fallen down ...God knows how many times....

My Nokia was my partner in crime, jumped into pools with me , has been chucked by Zeke, Zene and me , at different occasions and for different reasons..

My Nokia has been with me through, smiles, giggles, tantrums, tears, bad-words, gossip with my girls, heart-aches, power-breaks....it knows all my secrets...

I just need a simple phone for required phone calls and sms's ..

But think I kinda...
Ok im saying it "I love the IPhone 4 "... (even though I carry my beaten Nokia in my bag as back-up)

It has all the basics and some really fun apps...
You can tango, whats app, read books, learn a new language, download music, know which direction you going in , check the weather in Timbuktu ,play scrabble , take really good high resolution pictures , instant videos ,send them , receive them and so on and so forth ... And learning new things every day ...

I've fallen for this contraption ...
Hook ,Line and Sinker ...

And probably will have it roaming with me every where in the back pocket of my XoXo for a long time to come ...

What it has also done is open my world of friends...

And even though I'm a gregarious ,unpredictable ,impulsive Sagittarius ...
And come across like a retriever wagging her tail and running all over the country side.. I realized that I take time to make friends ....

And sometimes I think I have found a friend .. And jump right into it ... To realize that I was completely wrong ...
And then I have also made friends who are my family and cannot think of life without them ....

So to all who were,are and will be part of my life ...

And to the ones who will stay in my heart no matter what ...

I dedicate this ...

To karmic moments , soul connections ...

AND friendly, warm, intriguing, mysterious, ,sometimes drive you mad , adventure seeking , adrenalin charged, talkative,inquisitive, nature loving , charming ,truth seeking , trusting , flirty, lovable, incorrigible , philosophical ,athletic ,romantic ,prey to foot-in-mouth disease , confident and high spirited "Sagittarius" .....

You know we centaurs are clumsy , brash l'il brats...we may not always say the right things and sometimes make a mess of it all , but our hearts are in the right place...

I'm sure PETER PAN was a Sagi...

And so today when my sister Juliet (who is also a mad, sweet Sagittarius and a very talented photographer ) came home with the most seductively delicious ripe and juicy looking cherries, and all I wanted to do is make something that would be a combination of contradictions ,the ripeness of the season with good ole comfort food ...

So here goes

Creme Anglaise

1 Cup full fat milk
1 Cup cream
Vanilla essence or 1/2 a vanilla bean split
6 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar

Method:
In a heavy bottomed pan bring the milk and cream and vanilla to about just a boil , and then take it off the fire.In a bowl whisk together yolks , sugar and a pinch of salt, and then whisk in the hot milk, cream and vanilla liquid in a thin stream.
Over low heat cook this custard stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it turns thick, please take extra care and see that this custard never comes to a boil.
Pour this through a sieve into a bowl and stir occasionally.
Chill it completely, your creme anglaise tastes fantastic if you can keep it for at least two days in the refrigerator...

Waffles

1 3/4 cup Cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs separated
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Method
In a small bowl stir together flour , baking powder and salt.
In another bowl beat egg yolk slightly. and stir in the milk and oil.
Add this yolk mixture immediately to the flour and stir till its just moistened.
In another small bowl beat the egg whites till they are stiff and form firm peaks.
Gently fold the egg whites into the flour, yolk mix and do not over mix and yes do leave a few fluffs of egg white.
Spoon the waffle batter into the hot waffle iron and cook till its nice and crispy..
Every waffle iron behaves differently so it may take a little longer or shorter time than the 15 minutes my iron took...

Drunken Cherry compote

1 cup cherries sweet
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 cup Sugar
A dollop of Golden syrup
A dash of a sweet wine..a Zinfandel, or a Muscat ..what ever you like .....

Method

In a non stick pan over low heat , mix all the above together on a very very low flame, until the cherries are thoroughly cooked , don't feel shy to give it a good boil...because that will give the sauce its thickness and its gloss...

Allow it to cool completely and refrigerate...

What i did is i made the creme anglaise and the cherry compote in advance ..

And on a lovely evening after watching "LOVE AND OTHER DRUGS"....
I went and made fresh waffles , and added a few blue berries in it.....
They were crispy and begging to be eaten, I know that we all eat our waffles with maple syrup ...
And they mostly eaten for break-fast...

But all is fair "in love, war and food "....

So I poured the voluptuous creme anglaise over it and topped it with the Drunken Cherry ...
And bit into a bite of sinful ......MAGIC..

The crispiness of the waffle , with the satiny texture of the sweet creme anglaise and the wine infused cherries... Explode into your senses like fire works on a moonlit night...

We all can't do magic like Siegfried and Roy , David Copperfield , P.C.Sorcar or David Blaine...But we can find magical moments in the simple things in life...

So here's presenting, " SAGI-MAGICAL MOMENTS"...fresh scrumptious and naughtily saucy ha ha ha .....

Only from 'Maria's Kitchen....


No comments:

Post a Comment