From my kitchen to yours

From my kitchen to yours

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

getting sentimental


The reason i made burritos today is because i love Mexican food and frankly its so close to Indian cuisine , i love the red in the burritos and the thick sauciness of all the ingredients put together and the graininess of the minced chicken , the basic recipe was olive oil ,onions . tomatoes , cumin, cayenne pepper , garlic,chili powder, paprika, sugar, white wine vinegar, water and salt...
No rocket science there but as soon as i added the chicken the flavours and texture changed , also since this is being fed to kids i could not make it as spicy as i would have liked it to be, the white wine vinegar adds a nice bite to the food , i used these ingredients to my discretion and that's the best way to cook according to me, have the basics in place and then make it yours...and my mum used to say that in all food her secret ingredient is a spoonful of sugar and making the dish with love...
so LOVE FILLED BURRITOS FOR TODAY., dedicated to my mad sister Juliet who introduced me to it...
The picture of the strawberry tart at the bottom of the page ,brings back great memories , it is something i made in my kitchen from scratch, in fact i cooked a lot on that particular day 31st Dec 2009, and broke bread with my girl friends and all our kids, the photo is done by Arshad who is a very talented photographer also, the menu that day was , mixed lentils , penne, grilled chicken,home-made biscuits, strawberry tarts and gooey chocolate brownies,and home-made pop-corn that disappeared in less than 10 minutes.
Well this was our way of saying that we will stay friends and family always....
I really do love all of you Mini, Jaya,Sandy,Shaheen ,Anusha,Tapur and Sambo and all our collective monsters.....

8 comments:

  1. Ohh Gosh !!! It looks divine and credit goes to Arshad for being such a talented photographer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mouth watering, yummy!!

    I have homemade Austrian style potato - sausage - gulash today

    http://data5.blog.de/media/442/3551442_e3c58ef02c_m.jpeg

    Waiting for the next one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...itt awesum...cn i have sum..pleaz:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the burritos and the tarts looks smashing... i think you should also share the recipe of the burrito for people like me who are learning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. miss goretti... please make this again so we can eat it together!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiring post! For some time my better self has been prodding me to start cooking again, but you remind me how fun it can be! I used to enjoy cooking - mostly Mediterranean, South Indian, Mexican, and Middle Eastern - and got away from it when I moved here. This very morning I will join the co-op (best source, I hear, for "the necessary ingredients"), restock my kitchen, roll up my sleeves, and see what happens. Thanks for the inspiration and I look forward to more stories from Maria's Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. its been just 2 days since i decided to wake up each day and do what i love doing or rather indulge in my new found love, and it feels so good that i have all of you to support me, just want to thank all of you for your encouragement and for surrounding me with positivity..
    feels like this 3rd baby of mine is also going to be healthy and fine and spunky as hell ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pic! Please post some recipes too...:)

    ReplyDelete